Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Our Happy Place

I wrote part of this post way back in November and didn't end up posting it. Because of the timing of last weeks events it seems like now would be a good time to go ahead and post it.

Last week my mom, her three brothers and coordinating spouses cleared out my grandparent's house in Wisconsin. I can't even let myself think about the fact that this special home is no longer in our lives and if I do I just cry.

Here are my thoughts from November...

So, I thought it would be fun to have a definition of happy place here. Apparently most definitions of that have to do with going somewhere in your mind...

Heather, A.J. and I are blessed to have had an actual physical, wonderful, happy place we could go to. Our grandparent's house is our happy place.

Because of health issues, my grandparents have decided (probably with a bit of nudging from my mom and uncles) that they are moving to an assisted living facility in Florida.

And the selfish part of me thinks. No more happy place.

My sister, the unlicensed but mostly schooled psychologist, reminds me to be thankful that we "have been blessed with so many wonderful, amazing, amazing years in such a lovely home filled with so many memories. So many people never have that." and to be thankful we still have my grandparents to love.

So, while I'm still in my sulking state, I wanted to just put down a few of the things I think about when I think of their home.

 - The Bless This House chime playing each time you opened the front door


- Fresh donuts on the table every morning from Grandpa

 - The screened-in patio and all the yummy Grandma's house snacks we had there

 - Ice cream on the tablecloth on the floor and the constant supply of ice cream snickers in the freezer

 - The hill

 - How happy Mom always was there

 - The clock

- Grandma wouldn't like me putting this one but, wine time! :)




Back to May thoughts...

This house was the perfect homey place we so looked forward to going each summer. There are nothing but happy memories here and I never wanted to loose such a special place. I'm just trying my hardest to remember all of my favorite things and cherish them in my heart.


1 comment:

  1. What a special place. I'm sorry you guys have to say goodbye to it. Isn't it amazing how those cherished childhood memories always hold such a special place in our hearts?

    ReplyDelete