Thursday, May 11, 2023

School Happenings

Geography

Photos: Lorelei working on mapping.

Makin discovering new ways to google his geography questions.








Reading

I have utilized our reading assignments to get Makin to try some books he isn't excited to try reading on his own and it has been quite a success!




Science - Circuits and an Electro Magnet 











History  - Civil War Generals Project









Math Outside the Box

Makin and I modified how our math lessons are being done and it has been interesting to see a change in our days with this little tweak. Instead of doing his math on paper, he does the problems on a dry-erase board. Amazing how a small change can make the subject go more smoothly.







Geography Research

When you study Kansas and discover that is where Pizza Hut started...

SAT Prep

This girl's desire to be prepared has her very excited to start preparing for her SAT tests when she gets to High School. She has already started a free training course and I'm so excited that she is taking the initiative and is so excited for this!








Flower Dissection

We enjoyed checking out the parts of the flower up close for science.









Typing

While I have had plans for the kids to take typing each summer we have not followed through...this means I'm typing Makin's papers for writing while he reads them to me...which can get a bit tiring...so hopefully this summer will be the one where he learns to type!


Inventors Mini-Project

We spent some time learning about various inventors in history









Mad Libs

I was able to attend a homeschool moms retreat in February where they suggested the idea of Mad Libs as a fun start to the morning. It has been a hit!








Math

I cannot say enough how amazing it has been for Lorelei to have 1-1 math via google meet with Mrs. Buman. Mrs. Buman has perfected what I call "encouraging breezy" which is EXACTLY what Lorelei needs. We have also hit the level of math that I'm way too rusty to feel comfortable with even being much help to her...we are just truly so thankful we have this blessing of Mrs. Buman to make homeschool math SO much better.





History Homework - Bonus Movie Night!

This is my kinda homework. ;)









Reading

When I think about reading for Lorelei this year it just makes me smile. How amazing is it that she can read the same book as her old Kindergarten friend and they can discuss the book together each week!? Truly special and makes me feel so grateful and blessed for her to have this. It is rare for her to find anyone who loves books as much as she does and this is one of the many ways Anna is a gem of a friend.


History Wrap-Up Art Project

I decided a fun way to finish up history this year was with an art project. They each chose one of their favorite stories from history this semester and turned it into art. Makin's was the Ferris Wheel and Lorelei's was The Pony Express.









Spelling Aspirations

I thought a bonus to homeschooling would be catching those words that you just don't quite spell right for Lorelei's 8th-grade year...which we did...for a whopping two tests. ;) I'm still counting it as a win if she has the hang of 20-30 more words than she did when she started!


Geography

I really enjoyed learning more about each state for geography this year!

Pic: We often found pictures during our research we had to show...Makin is in the make-a-face phase. ;)




It's a tough job but sometimes you just have to do some serious research.
(Oregon - Tillamook Ice Cream)

We read this book that includes how each state got its name as part of what we learned about each state.
This story was one of my favorites!

Geography Art Project Wrap-Up - Choose three states and make a postcard for each!




No comments:

Post a Comment