Monday, October 3, 2016

Gymnastics and Soccer

Lorelei chose to continue with gymnastics this year. We picked a class after school on Tuesdays, to allow Fridays to be more open to fun. Also saving us another 15 minute drive once a week.

I'm not thrilled with the teacher/student ratio for these classes, which I feel keeps Lorelei from gaining a lot at each session. But, I am proud of how much more confident she is on the balance beam. :)

She is adjusting to the different teacher and class, and Makin and I are adjusting to staying during her class, as it is shorter so there isn't enough time for a library run.









Makin is playing soccer again this fall. This is our first season having games every Saturday, and I have to admit I'm a little begrudging of loosing my Saturday freedom. It has been a bit chaotic working around birthday parties etc, but I'm trying to get used to it!

Makin has come a long way in the last several weeks. We are thrilled that he is working with Coach Andy again, and he is getting to know his teammates better, now that they have consistent games each weekend. His coach, teammates and the other parents are encouraging.

Coach Andy has mentioned that Makin is naturally defensive minded, so he has played a lot of defense and does a great job. They do not have goalies at this age, but they do stay on their half of the field in case the ball comes that direction, and he is good about staying and watching, while some kids have a harder time staying put.

As much as you tell him he is doing a great job on defense, every kid wants to score a goal! Thankfully we have a coach wise enough to know this. During Makin's fourth game I heard Coach Andy talking to the kids. "Everybody has gotten to score a goal this season except for Makin, because he has been playing defense. Now it's his turn to score a goal. So pass it to Makin." Sure enough they did, and I just loved looking at the pictures with all his teammates with their arms up in the air excited for his first goal of the season! Then he proceeded to make two more goals within a few minutes. Coach Andy bragged on him and explained that was called a hat trick and yes I had to look it up. ;)

 
"In soccer, a “natural" or “flawless" hat trick occurs when a player scores three consecutive goals in the same game without being interrupted by any other goals."

Makin has requested that I ALWAYS bring my "nice" camera to the games, but now my next step is to get up and get some better action shots. :) But we do have a few keepers from the season so far.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun for both kids! Glad Lorelei is gaining confidence in gymnastics. The soccer pictures are great! I actually knew what a hat trick was! It was on a test I had in college where I had to use my style book to find out words for certain things. Hat trick was the only one I didn't know, so now I always remember it. Great job Makin! Now I know someone who has done a hat trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they are both enjoying their sports! Makin looks so grown up in his soccer uniform!! Tell him we said congrats on the hat trick.

    ReplyDelete