Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Recovering and January Happenings

While it was great that Makin seemed less exhausted this time after surgery, it also meant by week two I was already saying, "Don't run!" and "Settle down!" literally 20+ times a day. God did not build this boy to sit still.

This protein powder helped me not to worry as much about protein and vitamins,
but I did have to force him to drink it every day.
This was one of the usual 3 times I used the blender each day.
We have become all too familiar with the "no chew" diet and definitely are not fans. I tried a batch of soft scrambled eggs when we got home and Makin couldn't handle eating them without chewing. :( There went another salt option for two more weeks! This year he embraced applesauce and smoothies much better than last. Thankful he also loves oatmeal (which I had to blend) and yogurt, and of course ice cream. ;)





Brad is the super-soft mashed potatoes pro.

The night we got home we had a friend drop by with a gift from Makin's class. They all pitched in so that he would have some quiet building time to keep busy when he can't run. The only problem is he couldn't resist building them both the next day! It was wonderful while he was busy building though, and he has loved playing with them after. I loved the card with all the classmate's signatures! What a great class!!!


Makin was not comfortable going to school with his blood and stitches still showing on his face. So he did miss a bit more school than I first anticipated. We did some extra home-schooling his usual GCA days and then tried to have a bit of fun too. It sure made me miss the days when he was home with me!














Love this corner of the library!
By week three the crankiness was definitely kicking in and we were counting down the days. He was sick of the food and sick of mom telling him to settle down. "I can't do anything!!!" (In reality I was just asking him not to run or play any games involving a ball or the like ending up in his face...) To a six year old active boy this was a big bummer.


Gorgeous weather was great for flying his drone...and I only had to remind him not to run once! :) "Don't let it land in the puddle!" Cutting it kinda close don't ya think!?!










He worked on his solar robot kit and made a few robots.
This was the boat. This guy is fascinated with solar energy.

Makin came up with the idea of making his own air hockey table.
Love his creative mind.
It took a bit of problem solving with the parents on how to make sure it didn't move!

Another GCA mom asked about Lorelei taking a homeschool PE class with her daughter Wednesday afternoons. Brad and I had just been discussing how to get Lorelei another more consistent socialization/activity so we decided to try this out. Our trial class was the end of January, but the class will go through February. She loved learning some fun new games and I can't wait to hear/see how February goes.

Lorelei also started a tumbling class at a new gym Tuesdays after school. I wasn't thrilled with her previous gymnastics class, so we are hoping this will be a better fit. Macie will be in her class, so we are excited for that as well! I watched the first trial class and boy these girls were getting a tough work out. The student to teacher ratio is better and I'm hoping progress will be made with the focus on the tumbling.





No comments:

Post a Comment