Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Post Surgery Survival

Cream of Wheat. Yogurt. Potato Soup. Repeat.

That has been our diet the last 2 weeks. (Yes I have tried smoothies, which he is not a fan of and a few ice cream/pudding treats as well...) It has not been fun, but Brad and I are doing the puree/mush diet along with Makin. I have been told I am crazy for that, but that is what we have chosen to do this time. Boy does it give me way more empathy for this little guy. I get his misery, minus having surgery on my palate! It was actually great that he had very little appetite the first week, because I didn't get very many "I'm hungry" comments from him. The second week has been much more difficult, but he honestly is not a complainer and has been a huge champ through it. Thanksgiving day we will get to start mashed potatoes and oatmeal but will have one more week on the mush diet. The potato variety will be very nice.

This picture is our second-to-last potato soup for a loooong time. You may notice the bowl is almost overflowing. He even had a second bowl just as full. We have been amazed watching his appetite come back. The first few days he would barely eat half a bowl.



Lorelei is on the modified mush diet. She was turning into a little monster with all the wacky sugar/milk etc, so she gets to have a few extras (carrots, almonds, eggs) that Makin doesn't mind seeing her eat because he isn't a huge fan of them and also doesn't like his sister to be a monster. She also had normal lunches two days at school. Its still very hard to keep the sugar low on this diet and Miss L is being way more challenging than Makin, even with the added foods.










Some bright moments...

First Tooth Fairy Visit...yes I debated making this its own post. It just doesn't seem as exciting as that moment when they loose their first tooth unexpectedly! So, I hope I remember to give Makin his very own post when he looses a tooth the conventional way. I hope. Mr. Makin had a tooth smack dab in the middle of his palate, so Dr. Magee removed it and they saved it and sent it in a little pillow for the tooth fairy. :) (It took a lot of coaxing to get this picture of Makin. You can see his cheeks are still slightly swollen and the bruises under his eyes.)


We had a Makin/Mommy milk/latte date one morning while L was at school. It was at Barnes and Noble, so of course we read lots of books too.


Had to add a carousel ride to the fun...



Some family friends from my home-town church decided to send "a little something" for Makin's recovery...Oh my that boy spent about a day and a half working on these creations. Absolutely perfect since he is not allowed any PE/running activities for two weeks! I have had lots of "slow down" and "be careful" comments lately. This 5 year old boy likes to run!


Ready to move on to week three adding mashed potato varieties and oatmeal!

1 comment:

  1. Love that pic of you and Makin at Barnes & Noble! Hooray for mashed potatoes! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

    ReplyDelete