Friday, January 29, 2016

Gymnastics and Soccer

It seems the activities season is upon us! (Yes...In January?!) As a friend put it, "It's Texas, any sport, all year round." We let the kids choose what activity they wanted to try next and so far their choices seem to be a good fit for each!

Lorelei started gymnastics and is loving it. After the first class she was busy practicing her cartwheels all week and I can't wait to see her continue to improve. She is more excited about this than any other sport she has tried, which is really fun to see. I also love that it pushes her a bit (she is not naturally a person who wants to push herself) and she sees that she can achieve goals even with things that scare her, like heights with the balance beam.





We decided to go with a home school group class, so she goes early Friday afternoons. This means Mom and Makin have to kill time during her class. Thankfully the library is close-by! I'm grateful for the one-on-one time with him, because our T/Th morning routine doesn't leave much of that right now.


Makin chose soccer to try out next. I was thrilled that there is a local Soccer Shots program to get him started. I opted for a morning class this time around, keeping our evenings and weekends free for family time. His reaction to the first class? "Loved it." I'm thrilled with the coach and so thankful for this program, which focuses on teaching them a new skill for the first part of class, and then has a small scrimmage at the end of class. It's exactly the type of program I feel is appropriate for this age!

It is so fun for me to watch him when it comes to sports. I'm amazed when I see his natural abilities because I know nothing about this! Coming from this non-athletic, non-competitive mom, this is definitely new territory. I'm so thankful that he athletic and I cannot wait to see where it takes him!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like wonderful activities for both kiddos! Lorelei looks so cute in her gymnastics leotard, and Makin always looks like he's ready for a game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've found some perfect activities!! Glad Soccer Shots is going well; we loved that program so much for all three kids.

    ReplyDelete