Friday, September 9, 2016

Makin's Rocket Party

This guy kept me on my toes as I prepared this summer for birthday season. Originally he was not going to have a party, but instead go to a dinosaur museum, because I don't love inviting his classmates when they only been to school with him one week. However, once he heard me start talking about Lorelei's party, he quickly changed his mind. Then after he decided he wanted a party, choosing the theme was quite a process. At first the rocket theme had me overwhelmed. Usually I am mentally planning these parties at least 6 months ahead, so I had absolutely no clue what to do for a rocket party, but eventually I got used to the idea and got excited.

We decided to limit it to "just" his class this year. He had a soccer game on the following Saturday, and we wouldn't know what time it was until after we would have needed to send out invites, so Friday afternoon worked out better. He had a great turn out. With a class of so many boys, we may have been in over our heads, but we did survive and Makin had lots of fun.

Decorations/Set Up

Rocket Built By Dad!
I wonder how many things Super Dad will have to build before they are 18... ;)

Coloring/Eating Table

The food table. We added orange punch, watermelon and space dirt after this was taken.
The kids helped watercolor paint most of the planets. Makin originally requested all the walls in the house be covered in black duct tape...so this was as close as we could get. ;)
Party Favors with Milky Way and Starbursts inside.
(Of course.)


Activities
(This party was all about the games. It's what Makin loves!)

Straw Rockets - each child colored a rocket and then we taped a plastic pipette on the back. Then they could shoot the rocket using their straw and see where it would land on the bullseye on the floor. About half the kids could have cared less about this game, but at least I had a few participants!




Stomp Rocket- Who wants to color a rocket when you can play with a stomp rocket? This was a huge, HUGE hit. I wish I would have gotten more pictures of their reactions. The left picture was before the party, but it showed the game better. We had a hula hoop set up for them to shoot the rocket through.



Moon Rock Rescue - This was sort-of a combination of Capture the Flag and Freeze Tag. I read an idea similar on Pinterest, but we put our own spin on it and changed a few things. Moon rocks (foil balls) were on the moon (cones) and the Moon Guardian could freeze the astronauts that were trying to get the moon rocks. It was a bit crazy and sooo hot, but the kids who played sure seemed to have fun! (I loved the frozen Makin in the bottom pic!)



Space Dirt!

What?!?! You don't know what space dirt is!?!
So, Makin loves the dessert, dirt. This was all his idea after being told I wouldn't make a cake.
The trickiest part of this was finding the Sixlets for the planets. They do not sell them at very many stores! (And thanks to my mom, the saint, who crushed and mailed me the Oreos. Yes, seriously.)




This is as close as I got to a group shot.
I didn't even try. Or I forgot. I don't remember which. So many running Kindergarteners...
Grayson, Asher, Gracelyn, Makin, Charlie, and Gentry



Family Picture

Survived Party #2


The Birthday Boy





2 comments:

  1. That rocket is AMAZING!!! Great job Brad!!!! Looks like a really fun party. You always do such a great job on the themes. Maybe you can plan Sydney's next year to give you something to plan after September. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a phenomenal party! You do such an amazing job and make such wonderful memories. That is a really cool rocket!

    ReplyDelete