Saturday, November 12, 2016

Fun Run and Soles For Souls

Because I am helping at the school Tuesday mornings, I ended up helping quite a bit with this year's school fund raiser. We hope to continue this same one each year, so hopefully this year will be the roughest and it will be smooth sailing from now on. Thanks to those of you who donated!

We made a video, which you probably saw on facebook, but I just had to put it on here too! The kids did a great job!




Then came the actual fun run! There was also a 5k option, but we all know I'm not in that good of shape...Makin may be able to sooner than I would like though!

For the fun run, they grouped the kids by age. After signing myself up, both kids said they didn't really care if I ran with them. (Feel the love.)


Both kids starting off with their classmates.



At some point of the morning Lorelei said, "I think I'll just walk the Fun Run." Well, one she was lined up with her classmates the excitement must have motivated her. She ran hard and kept up with them, and I was proud of her for pushing herself!









I decided to run with Makin. He left me eating his dust. :) I couldn't even catch up enough to get a good picture. Another mom caught this one, of me doing the Crab Walk station. You can see Makin taking off in the background while I'm still crab walking.














Makin's friend Charlie arrived a few minutes after he finished his run. Charlie said, "I want to run with Makin!" Not really realizing he missed running with his class. I asked M if he would run with Charlie, and sure enough he did it a second time so he could run with his friend. :)








After the Fun Run, the kids made posters to cheer on those running in the 5k. Lorelei had quite a few classmates who ran, as well as her teacher! We absolutely loved heading out to cheer them on.









Urban Air donated a jump party for the kids who earned a certain amount towards the fundraiser. The kids were sooooo excited to be running around with their classmates right after school.



The following Friday we headed to Buckner Shoe organization to take and prepare shoes to be sent to orphans in various countries. Before we started packing up the shoes, they had the kids take off their shoes and walk the ground barefoot in dirt/rocks they (I think) brought back from three of the countries that they take the shoes to, so they could get an idea of how much these shoes will impact those kids and adults.

Then they got busy packing shoes. Each pair of shoes got a note inside. Makin wrote quite a few notes (that's the pic with the big handwriting) and Lorelei wrote almost the entire two hours! Her classmates/schoolmates requested she just write the notes since she was good at writing and then put them in the shoes they prepared. I think she felt special that they were so happy with her writing and I was proud of her for doing that many notes! Makin did each job, carrying shoes, writing notes, stuffing and moving the shoes to the correct bin when they were packaged.


It was a great chance to serve with our school!

No comments:

Post a Comment