Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cake Bakers

We enjoyed our Saturday, despite the predicted 5:30 AM wake up call, which followed a 4:15 wake up for about 45 minutes before going back to sleep for 30 more...She woke up at 4 the day before also but went back to sleep easily since we did not go in. Then all of a sudden it hit me - check her teeth! Sure enough we have a molar coming in...so that possibly explains the early mornings, and then I think she just combines that with the fact that she thinks she needs no sleep and its misery for all. Today was very rough although she did take a 30 minute nap...better than nothing but still nothing we were hoping for to make up for this whole week. She was VERY ready for bed by 7 pm. Now...what was this post again??? ;)

To celebrate Brad's birthday tomorrow, we spent some time making his cake today! Brad has usually requested things like brownies with mint ice cream... very easy stuff like that for his birthday. He would have been content with brownies this year as well, but Lorelei now totally associates birthday's with cake and blowing out candles, SO I thought I should splurge and do a cake. Brad was happy with the idea of my attempt at a chocolate peanut butter cake - and so the adventure began. :) Lorelei is sort of getting to the age where she can help but it makes me more nervous than anything. This time went pretty well and she LOVED being able to pour the peanut butter chips into the batter. I would say her other favorite would definitely have to be licking the spatula. :)

A few minutes after telling Brad this kind of cake (two layers in the 9 in circle pans) was really no big deal...I found out I was full of it. Not following up on my thought to coat the pans with flour probably had a bit of something to do with it...but needless to say the circles were basically crumpled up cake by the time it was all said and done. Although the frosting did not glue as well as I had hoped (eh hem even after two cans of it) we do have something that resembles a cake to eat tomorrow. I kept telling myself that I was just so thankful it was not Lorelei's cake I was making for a big party or anything like that, and just the three of us will not mind a crumbly cake. :) Better luck next time!

Memorable moments/quotes from today:
Lorelei getting her first lick of the batter and when I asked "Is it going to be good cake?" She had these huge eyes and just nodded her head happily and said "Num Num!" :) Although I'm not sure how much of a compliment that really is because later that day she put a bubble wand in her mouth and as we told at her to take it out I said, "Was that good?" and got the same "Num Num" reaction. :)

Brad watching me attempt to put the cake together... "Man you did screw that up didn't you?" :) All said in love as he is the most understanding and easy going husband I could ask for. I was already telling him before that how much I screwed it up! :)

Looking forward to a fun birthday celebration tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment