Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Volkers


(My apology for the poor-quality pics...we have to open up an old computer to get to our "before kids" photos so it was just easier to take a pic of them in albums for now.)

Every one of you has heard me refer to "The Volkers" or "Verna" many times, and now you are going to know the entire backstory...because its fun to tell and reminds me how much I love them, and I'm hoping it will make you even more happy when you see all the pictures from their visit.

They are getting here on Wednesday evening and we are just beside ourselves with excitement. It has been 4+ years since we have seen them and we have been waiting for this for months! Okay, so here is the story of "Our Volkers." :)

Our life in Columbus, Nebraska is such a special time looking back at it...when we were there we didn't really appreciate it. Guess it works like that a lot in life. ;) Anyway, we went nearly a year knowing no one, with Brad not meeting any people for us to socialize with at his job, and me only subbing. So, when the pastor's wife at our church asked if I wanted to help with Vacation Bible School, I jumped at the chance to get involved and meet people. And THAT was the start of a beautiful friendship. ;) If you don't know, Verna is the pastor's wife (one of three pastors there at the time) and after helping unload Christmas trees for part of the VBS set up, we started chatting and haven't ever stopped. :)

She is a full-time mom as well, and I loved helping with her then, two boys, Avery and Jonah. Since I was subbing, I could go places with her during the week and both of us had a wonderful time. The zoo, the pumpkin patch, shopping...tons of fun. Oh and cannot forget some fun girls nights...trip to paint plates/shop and eat in Omaha and a youth slumber party where we belted out songs during karaoke with the teens.


I got to spend a lot of time with Tom when he and I were two of the four adults on a youth mission trip to Canada. Nothing beats those talks over miles and miles in a van full of teens and being stuck in a house with 11 people sharing one bathroom. He and I would have been friends if we had grown up in the same town...we are the nerds and Verna and Brad and the jocks. Its nice to have equal jock/nerd relationships. ;)

It amazes me how much these two have influenced our lives. So many ways they don't even realize. They were the ones who got us started going to local events/activities. She was also my first look at, "Mommyhood" when we were contemplating kids ourselves. Little things she would say like, "They can have yogurt when they are done. Its like ice cream to them." And, "We have to get out of the house almost every day." Her kid's schedule is my kid's schedule. Consignment shopping...she took me to my first-ever children's consignment store and taught me her $5 and under policy. They also started me on Red Robin and Starbucks. Yes, they are the ones at fault for my pumpkin spice latte addiction. It was also wonderful to see how Tom is as a dad. He and Brad would check out the latest movie out about once a month.

The last time we saw them Lorelei was a tiny little bean inside my tummy and we were JUST telling people, and still not even wanting to tell people! :) We got to tell them we were pregnant after telling them we were moving (just like our families, talk about happy/sad news) and then were thrilled to receive a phone call from her soon after we moved that she was expecting their third! I remember talking to her on the phone when Lor was a month old saying, "Well, the first month was rough." And her quickly saying, "OH yeah, the first month sucks!" :)

And my latest favorite Verna-phone moment? Verna: I'm pregnant. Me: What!? You got rid of all your maternity clothes!!! :) Yep, Baby Volker #4 is a GIRL and we are beyond giddy. Tutu's and bows are about to invade a Lego/Super-hero ridden house, and I cannot wait.

So, there is our story, and we are gonna have a TON of fun seeing those little boys all grown up and seeing what these friends think of us with our kids! :) So many changes in so little time. :) Oh its gonna be fun. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sooooooo excited for all of you all to get to visit - so special! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story and what special friends! I'm so happy that you guys will get to see your Volkers! Have a fabulous visit!!

    ReplyDelete