Sunday, July 8, 2012

Okarche Family Tour

I asked my dad if he would give us a tour of his family's farm in Okarche, Oklahoma. We made this visit our chance to get to see it. I do not remember being there before this, so was thankful my Uncle Howard was gracious enough to open his home up for us to see.

We headed out Saturday morning and met for lunch at the famous Eischen's bar. I had heard stories about it from my dad and had never tried it until this now. Brad also drove up to meet us for the weekend. Yay! :) Apparently all Oklahoman's are as crazy for Eischen's chicken as my dad...it even made it into the top five in Taste Of Home magazine! :) It was good chicken. If I took over I might add a few more yummy sides though. ;)


We headed out to the Bohlmann family farm after lunch. I loved the old barn. It was there when Grandpa Bohlmann bought the land in 1909. (Hoping I get all this historic info right! If not, there may be a few corrections after a call from Dad!) Needless to say, its an old barn. :) This is where Dad and Howard milked the cows back in the day. Then we also have the three men down in the "pantry" where they kept all the canned goods. And also the front of the house. He moved a house from down the road to combine it with another to make a bigger house. We got to see the tiny rooms upstairs that the six kids in his family stayed in.


The two brothers. And our family in front of the barn. And I may have to kill A.J. who is an ADULT NOT looking at the camera in this pic. People, people. ;) At least you can't tell from far away. ;)


After the farm visit, we headed to the hotel for some swim time. Despite the green color of the pool, we had a great time swimming. (And love that Heather could take some pics!) Lorelei ended up with a mouthful of water, and as soon as she could speak she said, "Is my mouth green?" (Remember the color of the pool. ;) )


We topped off our evening with pizza. Where we enjoyed Lorelei's other quote of the night when, while Heather was chatting up her usual storm, Lorelei interjected, "Heather, don't talk so fast, okay?"

Then followed by Braum's ice cream. (Adults only...my kids were in bed by then. And have you noticed how much ice cream they have had this vacation!?) (P.S. Mom thought Heather was going to start driving with that ice cream on the dash. ;) And yes, my brother is looking so old and handsome. Its freakin' me out. ;) )



Three of my favorite boys walking into "the oldest Lutheran church in Oklahoma" for church on Sunday. This is where my dad grew up going to church. After the service I got lots of, "I knew you had to be a Bohlmann, you look just like ____ (insert sibling name here)." Was fun seeing the people who have known my Dads family FOREVER. :)

Thanks so much for the tour, Dad! Loved seeing some of our history! :)










After lunch the Stahl family got on the road to get home in time for bed.

And just to show how exhausted the kids were... Lorelei slept an hour in the car...don't even know the last time that happened. Completely bushed!

3 comments:

  1. Such an awesome family trip! Nothing beats family history like that firsthand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So special! Looks like a fun trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to see a piece of your family history. Love the pic of you and AJ!

    ReplyDelete