Friday, November 1, 2013

Moose Day!

I really want to have a fun theme day once a week...and Fridays just seem like a good fit since Fridays are supposed to be extra fun right? I'm not sure I will do this every week, but hoping so!

When I started planning my first Friday Theme Day and I kinda forgot how the day after Halloween feels for a mom...I really just wanted to lay down and do nothing, but it was still a really fun day.. :)

I had a list of the activities I had planned for the day. During breakfast the kids helped me decide the order of our activities. First, we played "Duck, Duck, Moose." Each child happens to have a stuffed moose, so they joined us in the game as well...you need as many players as you can get!



Next we looked up facts about moose, including listening to the sounds they make, since that was one of the questions Lorelei asked. I was not very educated on moose, so I thought I would share a few of the fun facts we found during our research.

Moose eat leaves, twigs, pond weed (summers), bark and pine cones (winter). They have a good sense of smell and can find plants under the snow. Its hard to describe the sound...something like a cow and a bear? :) They can weigh 1,800 lbs and have the largest antlers in the world. They are good swimmers, can swim for miles and can even stay under water for 30 seconds. Baby moose can outrun a person at only 5 days old.

Your Welcome.


We then read our moose books in the top of the tree, including one of my favorites, If You Give A Moose A Muffin. Muffins were baking while we read, so we got to eat our muffins while we read our favorite.

Our Moose Books
We then did a few activities to go with the book. First we made puppets similar to the book (moose and mouse). Zero sewing I might add. :) Love my hot glue gun. Then we drew and painted scenery for our puppet show (just like in the book of course) and then the kids put on a puppet show. For lunch we had moose sandwiches (thank you pinterest).


We made our own version of Moose Munch for snack that afternoon. It was pretty yummy! :) We also attempted a craft but Makin didn't want to do it because it involved putting paint on his hands. :) So, it was just a Lorelei moose craft.

Loved Moose Day! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally stealing those ideas! Sydney has a thing about moos - thinks they are super cute!

    ReplyDelete