Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Dallas Aquarium

I love educational field trips! I am one of those crazy people who loved taking kids on field trips when I was in a classroom. Just so much fun to get them out and see things and learn while doing it. So of course, I jump at the chance to do this with my own kids.

Mary and I have been planning this trip this month and had to reschedule from last week, so we were all very ready and excited to head to The Dallas Aquarium on Wednesday. We checked out fish/turtle/seahorse books from the library and read them a few days before. I also found some coloring pages and printed them for the kids to color on the way and at lunch. I also got the idea of doing a simple picture scavenger hunt. Brad did an AMAZING job making one for me and whipped one together in under an hour when it would have taken me...well I just couldn't have done it. Big props to him for his help!
We met up and all loaded into the Hughes car and after a few kinks, (like no GPS!) made it there just a little after they opened. We found practically everything on our scavenger hunt within the first 10 minutes, but that is because some of the best parts are right when you walk in! My personal favorite was right as you enter, and it had a huge tank with the manatees and sea turtles, along with catfish and a few others of course.

The kids loved it. They saw so many different creatures. We were there for just under 6 hours, with only one melt down from Lorelei with having no nap. They were completely entertained every minute. Lorelei said her favorite was the Poison Dart Frogs. She also talks the most about the Jelly Fish and the Flash Light Fish when telling you about our trip. If Makin could talk, I think he would say the Sea Otters. They were so entertaining I think the kids watched them for at least 30 minutes. It was absolutely wonderful to have a little field trip to take during the middle of the week. I love this stuff!

Um and you realized I would take about a million pictures for this right? So here is a slideshow. (Also big props to Brad, again. What can I say? It pays to have a computer wiz for a husband.) :)

3 comments:

  1. You are a good, GOOD mom! Love the scavenger hunt idea. What a great day, and the slideshow was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun!! Great to have such great things so close!

    ReplyDelete