Monday, October 4, 2010

Surviving Week 1 - Mom vs. TWO Kids


Well we all made it out alive. :) Not without plenty of tears and tantrums from all three of us, but alive nonetheless. It was one of the rainiest weeks we have ever had, so we were very much stuck indoors, but that was probably for the best so that I did a better job of not overdoing it. I took a few notes throughout the week to try and remember it all.

Note: This pic was taken Saturday...there is no way I had my hair fixed or make up done ANY of the days all week. We were lucky to be out of our pjs and showered. :) However take note of the chaos on the couch...very accurate of the everyday life. :)

Monday - Started taking notes first thing in the morning as I realized some things definitely had to change...for instance I usually cut up strawberries while Lorelei was eating breakfast...quickly learned that we must cut up strawberries and prep any other food ahead of time so I can pour into a bowl etc for her one handed if necessary. My other major note was that we could not put off any chores for the morning as we tended to do because it wasn't going to get done! :) Much more to do in the evenings before bed now. I was also a bit crazy today as I decided to venture out to the post office toting both kids in the pouring rain...just one of those things I wanted to get done and was determined to do it. We didn't get out of the house till around 11 and I believe we left with Lorelei's cereal all over the living room floor, but we made it. There was even a nice man in line who let us go ahead of him (thank goodness!) but I was definitely content to stay home the rest of the week after that journey.


Tuesday - Makin slept while Lorelei ate breakfast which made it SO much better. Of course we can never count on this at this point as his schedule varies each day. I have just learned to make the most of the time with Lorelei whenever he is asleep. Today Melissa and Sara also visited and brought Starbucks! Lorelei did A LOT of drawing with chalk. The area right outside the front door did not get very wet with the rain, so she would draw there as well as her chalkboard indoors. She even drew a road for her cars. I'm SOOO thankful she likes to draw as this is one activity I can sort of join her in while holding Makin as well. This was also the day I realized at about 2:30 that my stomach was hurting because I had forgotten to eat lunch... ;) I also tried to cherish a little more time with our girl and sat in on bath time with her and Brad. She kept saying my name like "mom, what in the world are you doing in here but I'm super excited you are spending time with me." :)

Wednesday - There was a short break in the rain so we jumped at the chance to get out and walk around the apt complex. We didn't even get halfway around the pond before it started sprinkling, but we still had a good little walk. This is one of my favorite things to do with Lorelei so enjoyed it a lot. She was excited to find the top of an acorn and was trying to find a squirrel in the tree to take it. Makin was happy to come along in the Bjorn and slept the whole time.


Thursday - Today I really noticed the cabin fever starting to kick in with a very whiny toddler on my hands. Thankfully I was much more rested as Makin all of a sudden decided he was ready to eat 3 oz at a time, which means we can let him sleep 3 hrs in a row at night...2 1/2 hr increments of sleep help so much the next day! After Lorelei's nap today we got some great time together coloring. She was very excited that I printed out some pumpkin coloring sheets for her.



Friday - Thank goodness this was not my first day on my own, and thank goodness it was the day before the weekend. It was one of those days when your 2 year old cries and screams about every little thing and your 3 week old doesn't seem to be able to fall asleep and just wants to be held all day...not a good combination! Not to mention I realized I was out of coffee creamer...can't have coffee without it and cannot survive these mornings without some caffeine! Thank goodness we have Food Lion within walking distance. There was another break in the rain and we bundled up and went out the door for some coffee creamer. (This took two tries of bundling up as the first attempt had a screaming baby so we went back in, took of shoes and sweatshirts, then tried again and finally made it out.)

Overall we are adjusting. Lorelei does a lot better than I would have expected out of her, so I'm extremely thankful for that. Can't wait until they are able to play together...our days will be so much fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment